I got a little down on myself today. And then I remembered that old SNL Stuart Smiley self-help sketch (side note: don’t you love the alliteration) and his daily affirmation, “I’m good enough, I’m smart enough and doggone it people like me.”
And damn it, it’s true. I’m kind of awesome. Now, I’m a fairly modest person, and typically shy away from attention on me, but for a moment or two, I’m gonna look in the mirror Stuart Smiley-style and list all the ways I’m awesome.
1. I am well-traveled and at current count I’ve visited 10 countries and have ambitions to see 50 or more. I even want to see Antarticia.
2. My credit score is over 800.
3. I’m very handy around the house. I have successfully installed a ceiling fan, kitchen sink and garbage disposal.
4. I’m great at solving jigsaw puzzles.
5. I take care of my body and exercise at the gym or outside at least 5x/week.
6. I’m strong on my faith and believe in the Eucharist. Now granted, me and God have been at odds recently, but I’m still a believer.
7. I’m a good writer and probably better editor.
8. I have awesome technical skills for a non-technical person (e.g. website development, HTML, SharePoint)
9. I’m a wizard at online research.
10. I pay my bills on time.
11. I’m not afraid to get my hands dirty and plant trees, flowers or take a weed wacker to an overgrown bush.
12. I’ll eat nearly anything, except Indian food.
13. I love wine, but sometimes I just want a beer, and yes, I’m okay with PBR.
14. Tequilla shots are the best. Vodka shots are good too.
15. I understand football, basketball, baseball and tennis.
16. I prefer to sit outside than inside when given the option.
17. I look good in short skirts.
18. I have awesome, thick, hair–enough for 10 cancer patients.
19. I’m not afraid to eat, travel alone.
20. I read at least 10 books a year.
21. I can and prefer to drive a 5-speed.
22. I’m well-educated with a Master’s from American University.
23. I’ve experienced life in the northeast, midwest, mid-Atlantic, and the South.
24. My resume is a list of Fortune 500 companies.
25. I am super flexible (physically and emotionally).
26. I make kick-ass sangria.
27. I’m solid in my political beliefs and values, but I don’t push them on others.
28. I believe in experiences over stuff.
29. I’m indifferent on marriage—do it or don’t–I no longer care.
30. I’m a cool, crazy Auntie to three nieces and two nephews.
31. I’m totally and utterly unattached, no kids, no pets, just looking for the next adventure.
32. I remember everything (except when I had my last period) and for what I can’t remember in the moment, I have a journal to recall what I was doing on any given date since 2001.
33. I’m a survivor. I may get beat down, shut down, but I have an inner strength to get up and go the next day–it’s kind of my superpower.
34. I give back and volunteer my time once a week at the hospital.
35. I have big boobs and small feet.
36. I have friends in every large metro area in the US.
37. I value quality over quantity in everything from food, to friends to my men.
38. I’ve ridden a camel in the Egypt desert.
39. While I’m a strong Republican, I am environmentally conscience, listen to NPR, watch PBS, and believe every state should have a hands-free law.
40. I enjoy foreign and indie films.